APAH is a seasoned, nonprofit developer that produces award-winning communities that support residents in living, learning and thriving. We bring integrity and compassion to our growing portfolio and seek to leave an indelible mark in every community we serve.
APAH specializes in the following core competencies:
- INNOVATIVE FINANCING: We effectively leverage the capital needed for projects and employ innovative financing solutions that make our deals feasible. APAH is a leader in hybrid financing, working closely with partners to access diverse and highly efficient financing models for each project. In fact, we were the first in Virginia to propose combining the 9% and 4% LIHTC programs to maximize equity. We also work to lower development costs and to use those savings in ways that impact residents.
- ENTITLEMENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: We work with various jurisdictions to secure the necessary permissions to build affordable housing in those areas. We also work closely with residents, business leaders, civic associations, etc. to ensure their voices and perspectives are heard and incorporated when possible. We play a key role in community engagement and planning–core competencies that are integral to true community transformation.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS: We collaborate with mission-minded organizations–from faith-based groups to civic organizations–to unlock the affordable housing potential of new sites. We also establish public-private partnerships and work with local governments to access public land to meet community housing goals.
- EXECUTION: We have a talented team of real estate development experts who identify development opportunities, assemble the financing, and manage the projects from concept to close out. Our developers find creative solutions in an urbanized setting, all designed to allow us to create more homes and serve more people. And when it comes to redevelopment, APAH ensures that the relocation process is as smooth as possible, minimizing disruptions and inconveniences to our residents.
- RESIDENT SERVICES: We serve low- and moderate-income residents that live in and around our properties by providing them with access to resources and partnerships that improve their quality of life. We have the ability to serve special populations from seniors and veterans to formerly homeless individuals, ensuring their needs are factored into our resident-centered designs.
APAH is based in Arlington, VA and serves the entire DC Metro region. We are continually building our pipeline to serve the region’s affordable housing needs.
Highlighting Columbia Hills: another award-winning construction project
Virginia Housing Award
Best Affordable Housing Development, 2019
ULI Washington Trends Award
Excellence in Affordable Housing, 2019
Related news and Stories
This month marks the 20th anniversary of APAH’s acquisition of Leckey Gardens, a mixed-income property with 40 homes in the Waverly Hills neighborhood of north Arlington. Originally known as the […]
The funds from Arlington Community Foundation’s Amazon gift will significantly lower monthly rents for some of the 160 units Arlington, VA (December 5, 2019) – The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing […]
The Terwilliger Family Foundation Pledges $1.5 Million for APAH’s Innovative American Legion Post 139 Housing Project
The gift underscores the project’s promise as a new model for affordable housing Arlington, VA (August 5, 2019) – The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) today announced that housing […]
Arlington Presbyterian Church (APC) finalized a lease with APAH for new ground floor space at Gilliam Place Apartments. The transaction marked APC’s commitment to return to the place where their […]
Project will create 160 units of affordable housing for veterans and other long-income families as well as a new post for American Legion Post 139 Arlington, VA (February 23, 2019) […]
Where ex-soldiers have socialized, they will soon find affordable housing – Washington Post – November 17, 2018
In 2016, the American Legion Post 139 selected APAH to purchase and redevelop its property. The partnership will create desperately needed affordable housing at a prime Arlington location. The future […]
Board Commits $7.9 Million Affordable Housing Loan to Queens Court South – Arlington – February 27, 2018
In a 5 to 0 vote by the Arlington County Board, APAH’s Queens Court planned renovation takes another step forward after being awarded a $7.9 million loan from the Arlington […]
In the fall of 2016, APAH was selected to partner with the American Legion Post 139 on the redevelopment of their 1.3-acre site in Virginia Square. In transforming the property, […]
Capital One Provides $57M in Financing for Arlington Affordable Housing Community – Commercial Observer – August 8, 2017
Capital One has provided a $26.1 million construction loan and $31.1 million in low income housing tax credits (LIHTC) for Gilliam Place, a 173-unit affordable housing community in Arlington, Va., Commercial Observer […]
Arlington, VA (February 27, 2017) – On February 25, 2017, the Arlington County Board approved the Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing’s (APAH) request to redevelop the Queens Court Apartments, updating […]