APAH is a seasoned, nonprofit developer that produces award-winning communities that support residents in living, learning and thriving. We bring integrity and compassion to our growing portfolio and seek to leave an indelible mark in every community we serve.
APAH specializes in the following core competencies:
- INNOVATIVE FINANCING: We effectively leverage the capital needed for projects and employ innovative financing solutions that make our deals feasible. APAH is a leader in hybrid financing, working closely with partners to access diverse and highly efficient financing models for each project. In fact, we were the first in Virginia to propose combining the 9% and 4% LIHTC programs to maximize equity. We also work to lower development costs and to use those savings in ways that impact residents.
- ENTITLEMENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: We work with various jurisdictions to secure the necessary permissions to build affordable housing in those areas. We also work closely with residents, business leaders, civic associations, etc. to ensure their voices and perspectives are heard and incorporated when possible. We play a key role in community engagement and planning–core competencies that are integral to true community transformation.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS: We collaborate with mission-minded organizations–from faith-based groups to civic organizations–to unlock the affordable housing potential of new sites. We also establish public-private partnerships and work with local governments to access public land to meet community housing goals.
- EXECUTION: We have a talented team of real estate development experts who identify development opportunities, assemble the financing, and manage the projects from concept to close out. Our developers find creative solutions in an urbanized setting, all designed to allow us to create more homes and serve more people. And when it comes to redevelopment, APAH ensures that the relocation process is as smooth as possible, minimizing disruptions and inconveniences to our residents.
- RESIDENT SERVICES: We serve low- and moderate-income residents that live in and around our properties by providing them with access to resources and partnerships that improve their quality of life. We have the ability to serve special populations from seniors and veterans to formerly homeless individuals, ensuring their needs are factored into our resident-centered designs.
APAH is based in Arlington, VA and serves the entire DC Metro region. We are continually building our pipeline to serve the region’s affordable housing needs.
APAH is known for bringing innovation, dedication, and integrity to projects that win awards.
Community Spotlight: Queens Court
A demonstration of community engagement, innovative financing, and more within APAH’s newest property.
Highlighting Columbia Hills: another award-winning construction project
Virginia Housing Award
Best Affordable Housing Development, 2019
ULI Washington Trends Award
Excellence in Affordable Housing, 2019
Related news and Stories
Green Light for Ballston Station Project
Once again, APAH is working with a faith institution to develop co-located affordable housing and worshipping space. APAH and Central United Methodist Church of Ballston (CUMC), located across the street […]
La Cocina VA Expands Programming With a New Site at Gilliam Place. Vámonos!
APAH is thrilled to announce its long-time partner, La Cocina VA (LCVA), has opened a new training and entrepreneurship center and pop-up café, aptly called The Café, on the ground […]
Creating Affordable Housing Opportunities for Seniors
To address the growing need and special needs for seniors, APAH is developing two multifamily properties for independent seniors. APAH’s Mt. Sterling and Oakwood projects, located in Loudoun and Fairfax […]
APAH and American Legion Post 139 Celebrate the Terwilliger Place Construction Start
Innovative, veteran-serving development will create 160 affordable apartments and a new Post facility. Arlington, VA (MAY 11, 2020) – Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) closed on the financing and started […]
Queens Court Soars to New Heights
Earlier this month, APAH reached a high point: Queens Court “topped out”, which means construction of the tallest part of the project is complete. Queens Court used to be a […]
Happy 20th acquisition anniversary, Leckey Gardens!
This month marks the 20th anniversary of APAH’s acquisition of Leckey Gardens, a mixed-income property with 40 homes in the Waverly Hills neighborhood of north Arlington. Originally known as the […]
APAH Receives $1 Million for its Innovative American Legion Housing Project
The funds from Arlington Community Foundation’s Amazon gift will significantly lower monthly rents for some of the 160 units Arlington, VA (December 5, 2019) – The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing […]
The Terwilliger Family Foundation Pledges $1.5 Million for APAH’s Innovative American Legion Post 139 Housing Project
The gift underscores the project’s promise as a new model for affordable housing Arlington, VA (August 5, 2019) – The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) today announced that housing […]
Arlington Presbyterian Church Celebrates Planned Return to Gilliam Place
Arlington Presbyterian Church (APC) finalized a lease with APAH for new ground floor space at Gilliam Place Apartments. The transaction marked APC’s commitment to return to the place where their […]
Arlington County Board Advances America Legion/APAH Redevelopment
Project will create 160 units of affordable housing for veterans and other long-income families as well as a new post for American Legion Post 139 Arlington, VA (February 23, 2019) […]