APAH is a seasoned, nonprofit developer that produces award-winning communities that support residents in living, learning and thriving. We bring integrity and compassion to our growing portfolio and seek to leave an indelible mark in every community we serve.
APAH specializes in the following core competencies:
- INNOVATIVE FINANCING: We effectively leverage the capital needed for projects and employ innovative financing solutions that make our deals feasible. APAH is a leader in hybrid financing, working closely with partners to access diverse and highly efficient financing models for each project. In fact, we were the first in Virginia to propose combining the 9% and 4% LIHTC programs to maximize equity. We also work to lower development costs and to use those savings in ways that impact residents.
- ENTITLEMENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: We work with various jurisdictions to secure the necessary permissions to build affordable housing in those areas. We also work closely with residents, business leaders, civic associations, etc. to ensure their voices and perspectives are heard and incorporated when possible. We play a key role in community engagement and planning–core competencies that are integral to true community transformation.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS: We collaborate with mission-minded organizations–from faith-based groups to civic organizations–to unlock the affordable housing potential of new sites. We also establish public-private partnerships and work with local governments to access public land to meet community housing goals.
- EXECUTION: We have a talented team of real estate development experts who identify development opportunities, assemble the financing, and manage the projects from concept to close out. Our developers find creative solutions in an urbanized setting, all designed to allow us to create more homes and serve more people. And when it comes to redevelopment, APAH ensures that the relocation process is as smooth as possible, minimizing disruptions and inconveniences to our residents.
- RESIDENT SERVICES: We serve low- and moderate-income residents that live in and around our properties by providing them with access to resources and partnerships that improve their quality of life. We have the ability to serve special populations from seniors and veterans to formerly homeless individuals, ensuring their needs are factored into our resident-centered designs.
APAH is based in Arlington, VA and serves the entire DC Metro region. We are continually building our pipeline to serve the region’s affordable housing needs.
APAH is known for bringing innovation, dedication, and integrity to projects that win awards.
Community Spotlight: Queens Court
A demonstration of community engagement, innovative financing, and more within APAH’s newest property.
Highlighting Columbia Hills: another award-winning construction project
Virginia Housing Award
Best Affordable Housing Development, 2019
ULI Washington Trends Award
Excellence in Affordable Housing, 2019
Related news and Stories
Six Real Estate Closings in One Week!
December 2022 marked several key milestones for the APAH real estate team. In total, there were six real estate closings, although Loudoun View Senior and Terwilliger Place required two separate […]
APAH’s Property in Washington D.C. is on the Horizon
APAH is moving closer to starting construction on its first project in the District of Columbia. We are pleased to announce that we have building permit approval and expect to […]
Dominion Square Will Deliver 500+ Affordable Homes to Tysons
In May, APAH and Fairfax County announced a $55 million commitment from the Amazon Housing Equity Fund to develop more than 500 new affordable homes in Tysons, located in Fairfax […]
APAH’s Marbella Redevelopment to Begin Public Process
Arlington County – APAH’s hometown – has a long history of robust community conversation and engagement. One tool to facilitate those discussions is the Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC). When […]
Leveraging Partnerships to Create More Affordable Housing
It takes a village to create affordable housing. Since its founding, APAH has worked closely with local government, neighbors, corporate and lending partners, and service providers to acquire, build and […]
Two APAH Projects Win Virginia Housing Trust Fund Awards
APAH is proud to announce that two APAH projects, Oakwood Senior and Ballston Station, received Virginia Housing Trust Fund awards from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). […]
APAH Celebrates the Construction of Loudoun View Senior Living
On Friday, February 12th, APAH and co-owner E&G Group held a groundbreaking celebration for their first ever project in Loudoun County, Loudoun View Senior Living. Although unable to gather in […]
Geared Up for Growth
APAH’s Real Estate Development Team Drives Production to Meet Escalating Need With five projects under construction in 2021, APAH’s Real Estate Development Team is in perpetual high gear. In […]
Green Light for Ballston Station Project
Once again, APAH is working with a faith institution to develop co-located affordable housing and worshipping space. APAH and Central United Methodist Church of Ballston (CUMC), located across the street […]
La Cocina VA Expands Programming With a New Site at Gilliam Place. Vámonos!
APAH is thrilled to announce its long-time partner, La Cocina VA (LCVA), has opened a new training and entrepreneurship center and pop-up café, aptly called The Café, on the ground […]