APAH is a seasoned, nonprofit developer that produces award-winning communities that support residents in living, learning and thriving. We bring integrity and compassion to our growing portfolio and seek to leave an indelible mark in every community we serve.
APAH specializes in the following core competencies:
- INNOVATIVE FINANCING: We effectively leverage the capital needed for projects and employ innovative financing solutions that make our deals feasible. APAH is a leader in hybrid financing, working closely with partners to access diverse and highly efficient financing models for each project. In fact, we were the first in Virginia to propose combining the 9% and 4% LIHTC programs to maximize equity. We also work to lower development costs and to use those savings in ways that impact residents.
- ENTITLEMENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: We work with various jurisdictions to secure the necessary permissions to build affordable housing in those areas. We also work closely with residents, business leaders, civic associations, etc. to ensure their voices and perspectives are heard and incorporated when possible. We play a key role in community engagement and planning–core competencies that are integral to true community transformation.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS: We collaborate with mission-minded organizations–from faith-based groups to civic organizations–to unlock the affordable housing potential of new sites. We also establish public-private partnerships and work with local governments to access public land to meet community housing goals.
- EXECUTION: We have a talented team of real estate development experts who identify development opportunities, assemble the financing, and manage the projects from concept to close out. Our developers find creative solutions in an urbanized setting, all designed to allow us to create more homes and serve more people. And when it comes to redevelopment, APAH ensures that the relocation process is as smooth as possible, minimizing disruptions and inconveniences to our residents.
- RESIDENT SERVICES: We serve low- and moderate-income residents that live in and around our properties by providing them with access to resources and partnerships that improve their quality of life. We have the ability to serve special populations from seniors and veterans to formerly homeless individuals, ensuring their needs are factored into our resident-centered designs.
APAH is based in Arlington, VA and serves the entire DC Metro region. We are continually building our pipeline to serve the region’s affordable housing needs.
Highlighting Columbia Hills: another award-winning construction project
Virginia Housing Award
Best Affordable Housing Development, 2019
ULI Washington Trends Award
Excellence in Affordable Housing, 2019
Related news and Stories
It takes a village to create affordable housing. Since its founding, APAH has worked closely with local government, neighbors, corporate and lending partners, and service providers to acquire, build and preserve affordable housing and provide programs and services for residents. One project in APAH’s pipeline highlights a different, but potent type of partnership that can […]
APAH is proud to announce that two APAH projects, Oakwood Senior and Ballston Station, received Virginia Housing Trust Fund awards from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). The awards loan $900,000 into each project, which APAH will support construction-related costs. Both projects, one in Fairfax County and the other in Arlington County, […]
On Friday, February 12th, APAH and co-owner E&G Group held a groundbreaking celebration for their first ever project in Loudoun County, Loudoun View Senior Living. Although unable to gather in person, APAH and E&G, the development team, the project’s financing partners, and Loudoun County leaders joined together online to mark the occasion. The project will […]
APAH’s Real Estate Development Team Drives Production to Meet Escalating Need With five projects under construction in 2021, APAH’s Real Estate Development Team is in perpetual high gear. In just five months, residents will begin to move into Queens Court Apartments. Terwilliger Place, APAH’s redevelopment of American Legion Post #139, is rapidly coming out […]
Once again, APAH is working with a faith institution to develop co-located affordable housing and worshipping space. APAH and Central United Methodist Church of Ballston (CUMC), located across the street from the Ballston-MU Metro, are partnering to develop the Ballston Station project. We first shared this project with you last year, and recently, APAH signed […]
APAH is thrilled to announce its long-time partner, La Cocina VA (LCVA), has opened a new training and entrepreneurship center and pop-up café, aptly called The Café, on the ground floor of Gilliam Place Apartments. LCVA is a nonprofit that runs a bilingual career training program in the hospitality industry serving immigrants, primarily women. Until […]
To address the growing need and special needs for seniors, APAH is developing two multifamily properties for independent seniors. APAH’s Mt. Sterling and Oakwood projects, located in Loudoun and Fairfax counties respectively, are expected to open by 2022 (Mt. Sterling) and 2023 (Oakwood). Both are designed to be 100% accessible and feature extensive indoor and […]
Innovative, veteran-serving development will create 160 affordable apartments and a new Post facility. Arlington, VA (MAY 11, 2020) – Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) closed on the financing and started construction of Lucille and Bruce Terwilliger Place. Once completed in 2022, the project will provide 160 affordable apartments in Arlington as well as a new, […]
Earlier this month, APAH reached a high point: Queens Court “topped out”, which means construction of the tallest part of the project is complete. Queens Court used to be a garden-style community of just 39 apartments, but it is being redeveloped into a 12-story building that will provide affordable apartments for 249 households. The safety […]
This month marks the 20th anniversary of APAH’s acquisition of Leckey Gardens, a mixed-income property with 40 homes in the Waverly Hills neighborhood of north Arlington. Originally known as the Lorcom Arms Apartments, in 2004 the property was renamed Leckey Gardens Apartments in memory of APAH founder and first president Tom Leckey. The property is […]